Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Arise, Sir Geoffrey Boycott

I felt an enormous pang of pride today when I learned that "Sir Geoffrey" has finally been knighted. It rights a terrible wrong.

Boycott in the words of Ian Wooldridge, "walks alone" as the greatest England batsman. His game was based upon Steve Smith-like practice combined with a perfect defensive technique and incredible powers of concentration and stubborness.

Boycott was a self-absorbed, selfish man until cancer struck him low. He was a terrible partner and father and team-mate, yet in his sixties he was redeemed and turned into a kind, considerate father and husband to his long-suffering on-off partner Rachael.

His relentness self-absorption tore apart Yorkshire County Cricket Club in the 1980's. He made the appalling decision half a decade earlier to go to Apartheid South Africa at the age of 40 for a final bumper payday. One of the funniest moments in cricket history was when, in a brief period as England's accidental cricket captain, he put his own average ahead of acceleration before a declaration at Wellington which led to Ian Botham running him out on purpose.

And yet in spite of that, Boycott is a figure who evokes passionate support from people as diverse as ex-Prime Minister Theresa May (who just knighted him) and myself, a Lancashire fan.

Boycott's hundredth hundred, on his home ground Headingley in 1977, is viewed by all of us who had the privilege to watch it as the greatest moment in cricket history over the last 50 years.

Boycott had exited Test cricket in his early thirties as the extreme pace of Lillee and Thomson and then Roberts and Holding emerged. (All four were recorded in the 1975-76 Perth Test bowling in the 150's). People said that Boycott and his Kiwi counterpart Glenn Turner were cowards who were scared of humiliation.

We have all seen these last three weeks that no cricket on earth is as intense as Ashes cricket. Yet Boycott returned a few months before his 37th birthday against an express attack including both Thomson and Lennie Pascoe, both of whom were far quicker than any current bowler.

The rest is history - Boycott made his hundredth hundred in front of his adoring public and his 191 set up an innings victory.

For many years a dubious conviction for assault in France looked like costing Boycott the knighthood he so richly deserves. What wouldn't I give to have Boycott instead of Buttler or Roy in this Test team?

Today is a day to celebrate. To celebrate a flawed man who was a great defensive batsman, who matured and grew into the greatest cricket analyst that the press and TV and radio have had in the modern age.
    Last edited by Junaids; 10th September 2019 at 13:20.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Boycott's hundredth hundred - and the real variety, made the hard way against slip cordons with a red ball.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I felt an enormous pang of pride today when I learned that "Sir Geoffrey" has finally been knighted. It rights a terrible wrong.

Boycott in the words of Ian Wooldridge, "walks alone" as the greatest England batsman. His game was based upon Steve Smith-like practice combined with a perfect defensive technique and incredible powers of concentration and stubborness.

Boycott was a self-absorbed, selfish man until cancer struck him low. He was a terrible partner and father and team-mate, yet in his sixties he was redeemed and turned into a kind, considerate father and husband to his long-suffering on-off partner Rachael.

His relentness self-absorption tore apart Yorkshire County Cricket Club in the 1980's. He made the appalling decision half a decade earlier to go to Apartheid South Africa at the age of 40 for a final bumper payday. One of the funniest moments in cricket history was when, in a brief period as England's accidental cricket captain, he put his own average ahead of acceleration before a declaration at Wellington which led to Ian Botham running him out on purpose.

And yet in spite of that, Boycott is a figure who evokes passionate support from people as diverse as ex-Prime Minister Theresa May (who just knighted him) and myself, a Lancashire fan.

Boycott's hundredth hundred, on his home ground Headingley in 1977, is viewed by all of us who had the privilege to watch it as the greatest moment in cricket history over the last 50 years.

Boycott had exited Test cricket in his early thirties as the extreme pace of Lillee and Thomson and then Roberts and Holding emerged. (All four were recorded in the 1975-76 Perth Test bowling in the 150's). People said that Boycott and his Kiwi counterpart Glenn Turner were cowards who were scared of humiliation.

We have all seen these last three weeks that no cricket on earth is as intense as Ashes cricket. Yet Boycott returned a few months before his 37th birthday against an express attack including both Thomson and Lennie Pascoe, both of whom were far quicker than any current bowler.

The rest is history - Boycott made his hundredth hundred in front of his adoring public and his 191 set up an innings victory.

For many years a dubious conviction for assault in France looked like costing Boycott the knighthood he so richly deserves. What wouldn't I give to have Boycott instead of Buttler or Roy in this Test team?

Today is a day to celebrate. To celebrate a flawed man who was a great defensive batsman, who matured and grew into the greatest cricket analyst that the press and TV and radio have had in the modern age.
    Boycott to Roy:Rubbish,my mum would have played better than you.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    2017's majestic BBC Radio Test Match Special wind-up of Boycott, advising him that his hundredth hundred had been re-located from Headingley to Pakistan!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The hilarious run-out at Wellington.....

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Boycott bingo - his favourite commentary clichés.....

Attachment 94515

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hilarious run-out at Wellington.....

After that incident boycott didn't talk to Botham for many years because he just ruined boycott's average.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    At last.

Boycott is one of the most controversial characters in English cricket history. He has his staunch admirers and critics in equal measure. He won many friends but also many enemies even in his own county, including Yorkshire icons like Fred Trueman.

In some ways, parallels can be drawn to Sunil Gavaskar. Their self-absorbed nature and extreme stubborness was an asset as an opening batsman looking to protect their wicket like a bird protects its flock. How England could do do with an opener like him now ! But these characteristics are less endearing as human beings hence many fallouts in a stormy career.

It's as a commentator however Boycott has achieved unexpected fame. Always forthright and honest, an excellent analyst of batting techniques, he has inspired a whole vocabulary of Boycottisms (my mother could've batted better than that, stick of rhubarb, roo-bish etc).

From a Pakistan perspective, Boycott defended the team from ball tampering allegations in 1992 and 2006. He famously quipped that "Wasim and Waqar could bowl England out with oranges", and that Derek Pringle who at the time admitted to ball tampering wasn't given the same media attention because "A) He's white, B) He's Essex, and C) He's not very good !"

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Big fan and always have of Sir Geoffrey and even as a great cricket commentator. Straight honest to the point like it or lump it.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Geoff and also massive well done to Sir Andrew Strauss.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention, when Sir Geoffrey retired he held the World Record for Most Test Runs.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    At last.

Boycott is one of the most controversial characters in English cricket history. He has his staunch admirers and critics in equal measure. He won many friends but also many enemies even in his own county, including Yorkshire icons like Fred Trueman.

In some ways, parallels can be drawn to Sunil Gavaskar. Their self-absorbed nature and extreme stubborness was an asset as an opening batsman looking to protect their wicket like a bird protects its flock. How England could do do with an opener like him now ! But these characteristics are less endearing as human beings hence many fallouts in a stormy career.

It's as a commentator however Boycott has achieved unexpected fame. Always forthright and honest, an excellent analyst of batting techniques, he has inspired a whole vocabulary of Boycottisms (my mother could've batted better than that, stick of rhubarb, roo-bish etc).

From a Pakistan perspective, Boycott defended the team from ball tampering allegations in 1992 and 2006. He famously quipped that "Wasim and Waqar could bowl England out with oranges", and that Derek Pringle who at the time admitted to ball tampering wasn't given the same media attention because "A) He's white, B) He's Essex, and C) He's not very good !"
    Always had a soft spot for Pakistan, maybe from his Yorkshire roots. Probably my favorite comm/analyst to listen to, always controversial and straight to the point, very refreshing. Excellent news to hear he has been knighted, shame about the incident in 1998 which probably slowed this down by 20 years or so.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Always had a soft spot for Pakistan, maybe from his Yorkshire roots. Probably my favorite comm/analyst to listen to, always controversial and straight to the point, very refreshing. Excellent news to hear he has been knighted, shame about the incident in 1998 which probably slowed this down by 20 years or so.
    The "incident" was a travesty of justice. The woman's injuries bore precisely zero resemblance to the type of assault she described, but were entirely consistent with a drunken stumble.

There was evidence given by many of Boycott's former partners that he is never violent, but also one was not permitted to give evidence that he had told her prior to the trip to France that the girlfriend had asked him for a large amount of money to pay off her business debts.

He's lucky that his knighthood was awarded by a female PM: I'm not sure that any male PM could have done it.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He seems to have a soft spot for Pakistan. For this reason alone he is worthy of being a "Sir". Conflagrations Sir Boycs! I don't believe in the false accusations labelled at him, not having it!

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  DCsQV2uXUAAkT4V.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  250.5 KB

Emma boycott[daughter] was like a parent to Geoffrey. ‘She changed him a lot. He had never had to put himself out for anyone. He was the oldest and he was totally spoilt by his mother,’ she said.

‘He just didn’t know how to parent. I’d tell him he had to let her win at games sometimes but he just said “why?” He could be very brusque at times and you could see how people could become offended but if I pointed it out he’d be mortified. They are very similar and neither would ever knowingly do a bad thing.’

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amongst the greatest openers of all time, better than ali cook by some distance.
    Much like an inferior version of the Goat opener Sunil gavaskar.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    At last.

This is slightly unfair to Gavaskar, is many things you said and much more but unlike boycott he isn't a racist wife beating *****.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    He seems to have a soft spot for Pakistan. For this reason alone he is worthy of being a "Sir". Conflagrations Sir Boycs! I don't believe in the false accusations labelled at him, not having it!
    What false allegations? he has been convicted of domestic abuse by a french court.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagatk View Post
    What false allegations? he has been convicted of domestic abuse by a french court.
    The conviction looked to be on pretty dodgy grounds. She claimed to have been punched more than 20 times across the body yet had a single impact injury to the head and even her friends and family came out and said she was lying.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    The conviction looked to be on pretty dodgy grounds. She claimed to have been punched more than 20 times across the body yet had a single impact injury to the head and even her friends and family came out and said she was lying.
    But he appealed and even that failed, so clearly he was at fault. Anyone can say what they want, the fact remains he was convicted and his appeal failed. If we are going to random people over actual court proceedings then no one ever will be guilty of any crimes.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But he appealed and even that failed, so clearly he was at fault. Anyone can say what they want, the fact remains he was convicted and his appeal failed. If we are going to random people over actual court proceedings then no one ever will be guilty of any crimes.
    Aren't knighthoods taken away from convicted criminals?

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017's majestic BBC Radio Test Match Special wind-up of Boycott, advising him that his hundredth hundred had been re-located from Headingley to Pakistan!

That was classic..

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would not have Knighted Boycott. He went to apartheid SA and has a conviction for beating a woman.

Strauss, yes, for his role in making England #1 test side for a while and service as ECB Director of Cricket culminating in the World Cup win.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I would not have Knighted Boycott. He went to apartheid SA and has a conviction for beating a woman.

Strauss, yes, for his role in making England #1 test side for a while and service as ECB Director of Cricket culminating in the World Cup win.
    There was major discussion at the time as to whether the conviction was analogous to an English criminal conviction.

The French authorities claimed that it “only” was equivalent to an American “misdemeanor” or a British traffic offence.

If you hold someone down on the ground and punch them twenty times they don’t just get a black eye, they also suffer a burst lip, broken nose and multiple cuts. Ms Moore had no such injuries.

Comparing with French Law is difficult. The EU’s newly installed Chair of the European Central Bank has a criminal conviction for fraud which is less than three years old. And the 79 year old Mr Boycott could tomorrow have an intimate liaison with a French 13 year old without committing an offence under French criminal law.

So I would treat French criminal convictions with great scepticism.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I think the Strauss knighthood is absurd.

If it is for the World Cup win, then I’d put Stokes and Farbrace and Archer up before him. And anyway, if he’s responsible for that win he’s responsible for two lost Ashes.

He was briefly the Director of Cricket and his choice as coach lost an outrageous number of Tests.

You and I both know that the dual knighthoods of Cook and Strauss show that the Old Boys Network reigns supreme in English cricket.

Of recent English cricketers you can make a vastly stronger argument for Jimmy Anderson being knighted than either Cook or Strauss.

Except he’s from Burnley, and didn’t go to boarding school.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Sir Alastair Cook.

Sir Andrew Strauss.

Mr Michael Vaughan.

Mr James Anderson.

Please explain.

(I thought Richie Richardson’s knighthood was a bit soft, but Cook and Strauss? Really?)
    Last edited by Junaids; 12th September 2019 at 12:35.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So @Junaids we base the case for Knighthood on whether we like a player or not?

Botham also has a conviction, but redeemed himself by raising £10M for childhood leukaemia research and care. Boycott has done no such redemptive work.

FWIW I thought Cook’s K was premature.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    They could be but I can’t think of an example. I think Green’s K should be rescinded, and Saville’s posthumously.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the guy called @Junaids says Smith should be banned for life for ball tampering and giving praise for knighthood to boycott (who I admire,he is a great commentator and analyst) what services did he give to England,played selfish knocks,always tried to boost his average,going to rebel tours,when someone teammate runouts him Botham he didn't talk to him for a long time because he ruined his average.Double standards.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a post-70s England XI, I will have Gooch, Boycott and Cook all three.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    Here is the guy called @Junaids says Smith should be banned for life for ball tampering and giving praise for knighthood to boycott (who I admire,he is a great commentator and analyst) what services did he give to England,played selfish knocks,always tried to boost his average,going to rebel tours,when someone teammate runouts him Botham he didn't talk to him for a long time because he ruined his average.Double standards.
    Yes.

I don’t like that Boycott went to South Africa, but he was within his rights to do so.

Smith’s team took a form of cheating and implemented it on a monumental scale, exactly analogous to the doping of Lance Armstrong.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    They could be but I can’t think of an example. I think Green’s K should be rescinded, and Saville’s posthumously.
    So @Junaids we base the case for Knighthood on whether we like a player or not?

Botham also has a conviction, but redeemed himself by raising £10M for childhood leukaemia research and care. Boycott has done no such redemptive work.

FWIW I thought Cook’s K was premature.
    The problem is that we become de-sensitised to the ludicrous baubles that the upper class award to one another, rather like the preposterous amount of military medals that Charles, William, Andrew et al sport as if they have earned them.

If you restrict yourself to cricketing exploits, then Cook and Strauss are less entitled to a gong than Vaughan and Anderson of late but also Gatting, Underwood, Knott, Gooch and Willis.

If it is due to charity work, then Strauss is three weeks into it: his claim is basically nothing.

If it’s for directing team management, then AK Smith, Raman Subba Row, Mickey Stewart and Ray Illingworth have at least as strong a case.

But we all know where Strauss and Cook went to school, so that’s that.

What’s doubly annoying is that the winter before his Test debut Alastair Cook skipped club cricket in Perth with literally dozens of unpaid speeding and parking fines. But he has “character” based on his social station, so he gets a knighthood for no apparent reason.
    Last edited by Junaids; 12th September 2019 at 15:25.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But he has “character” based on his social station, so he gets a knighthood for no apparent reason.
    I doubt it's got anything to do with him being England's leading test run scorer by a mile and the highest scoring opener in test history, along with captaining his country in more tests than anyone.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    I doubt it's got anything to do with him being England's leading test run scorer by a mile and the highest scoring opener in test history, along with captaining his country in more tests than anyone.
    Trueman and Willis retired with the world wickets record.

Knott retired with the world wicketkeeper dismissals record.

Boycott retired with the world Test runs record 16 years before the alleged assault.

Yet nobody gave them knighthoods. Because they hadn’t been to elite private boarding schools and been born to rule.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The problem is that we become de-sensitised to the ludicrous baubles that the upper class award to one another, rather like the preposterous amount of military medals that Charles, William, Andrew et al sport as if they have earned them.

If you restrict yourself to cricketing exploits, then Cook and Strauss are less entitled to a gong than Vaughan and Anderson of late but also Gatting, Underwood, Knott, Gooch and Willis.

If it is due to charity work, then Strauss is three weeks into it: his claim is basically nothing.

If it’s for directing team management, then AK Smith, Raman Subba Row, Mickey Stewart and Ray Illingworth have at least as strong a case.

But we all know where Strauss and Cook went to school, so that’s that.

What’s doubly annoying is that the winter before his Test debut Alastair Cook skipped club cricket in Perth with literally dozens of unpaid speeding and parking fines. But he has “character” based on his social station, so he gets a knighthood for no apparent reason.
    Hutton, Bedser, Hadlee and Botham didn’t go to the right school. Or Boycott.

I would never give Gatt, Underwood, Gooch and Knott a K as they all went to SA.

Those managers you name didn’t win the WC.

Vaughan didn’t direct the ECB.

I think Willis and Anderson have strong claims.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad he is recognised, a great voice of cricket and very good batsmen for England.

Congratulations.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    A recent quote from him when I met him at Headingley during the ODI between England and Pakistan.

"I'm 78 years old and I could still field better than some of these Pakistani lads".

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Arise indeed, no doubt one of the greatest of all time, I'd be tempted to put him behind Brandman and he is far ahead of Sachin Tendulkar!

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    @Junaids

Jack Hobbs or Boycott, who would you put just behind the Don ? it's a tough one but I have watched Boycott mostly so will go with him also as my relatives speak of him highly, that says a lot coming from me even though he is a Yorkshireman !

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hutton, Bedser, Hadlee and Botham didn’t go to the right school. Or Boycott.

I would never give Gatt, Underwood, Gooch and Knott a K as they all went to SA.

Those managers you name didn’t win the WC.

Vaughan didn’t direct the ECB.

I think Willis and Anderson have strong claims.
    Not disagreeing with the overall point, but Alec Bedser was very much a part of the establishment and had extremely close ties with the Conservative Party. He was a founding member of the ultra right-wing Freedom Association which lobbied for causes such as the reinstatement of sporting relations with South Africa and banning favourable media coverage of the anti-apartheid cause. Bedser was instrumental in those lobbying efforts, including the d'Oliveira affair. He should never have been knighted if we are applying the anti-apatheird standard to the likes of Gooch and Knott.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 13th September 2019 at 08:52.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Not disagreeing with the overall point, but Alec Bedser was very much a part of the establishment and had extremely close ties with the Conservative Party. He was a founding member of the ultra right-wing Freedom Association which lobbied for causes such as the reinstatement of sporting relations with South Africa and banning favourable media coverage of the anti-apartheid cause. Bedser was instrumental in those lobbying efforts, including the d'Oliveira affair. He should never have been knighted if we are applying the anti-apatheird standard to the likes of Gooch and Knott.
    Fair point. I was challenging the idea that you had to go to the right school to get a K.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not by a British court I believe.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Not by a British court I believe.
    Guilty in court is guilty in court. Doesn't matter which. He beat a woman and he was convicted for it. Sets a bad precedent when people charged with domestic abuse are allowed highest honors anywhere.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’m half wondering if this will be rescinded.

Has kicked up a massive stink in the UK.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    867 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I’m half wondering if this will be rescinded.

Has kicked up a massive stink in the UK.
    Labour might if elected. Tories won’t.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Mrs Moore complained in France four weeks after the event, when she had no injuries.

And Boycott was charged with a minor offence and convicted in absentia there.

But three days after the alleged assault Mrs Moore attempted to lay charges in London. And the Metropolitan Police were clear that her black eyes without skin cuts or nose injuries were not consistent with being punched 20 times while lying restrained on a tiled floor, and they refused to press charges.

Incidentally, the charge used in France was the same one used for the sort of fracas that Boris and his girlfriend had a couple of months ago.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs Moore complained in France four weeks after the event, when she had no injuries.

And Boycott was charged with a minor offence and convicted in absentia there.

But three days after the alleged assault Mrs Moore attempted to lay charges in London. And the Metropolitan Police were clear that her black eyes without skin cuts or nose injuries were not consistent with being punched 20 times while lying restrained on a tiled floor, and they refused to press charges.

Incidentally, the charge used in France was the same one used for the sort of fracas that Boris and his girlfriend had a couple of months ago.
    He might have been convicted in absentia, but he appealed twice, both times he was present. Yet the decision stood. I don't understand this boycott supporters initiative to malign French law and court, it isn't a kangaroo court folks. And as much the wife beater might want you to believe it doesn't work on guilty until proven innocent. He was convicted of a crime in a democratic country's court.

Didn't the English police just recently decide not to charge the queen's husband when he caused an accident that injured 2 people, I am sure he too was completely not at fault.